5 ways Man of Steel 2 can be successful at the box office
I didn’t really like Man of Steel. I thought it was too action packed, their plot points were hammered in, and I was emotionally unattached to Superman. I did love how Superman snapped Zod’s neck like a twig to save a family. I loved the fight between Superman and Zod. Amy Adam’s Lois Lane was the best version of the character on the big screen. Zack Synder (director) and Warner Bros need to do these 5 things to make Man of Steel 2 successful.
1) Synder and David Goyer (writer) need to develop Superman/Kal El’s humanity by having interact with people, reporting on social issues, and establish his relationship with Lois Lane. The world obviously doesn’t know what to make of Superman right now. He destroyed half of Metropolis in fight with Zod, United States Soldiers, innocent citizens were killed. Lois Lane should be his biggest vocal support. He should allow another reporter to interview him to face tough questioning. A dream sequence where Superman relives killing Zod causing him pain and anguish would allow the audience to emotionally connect with him.
2) Introduce Lex Luthor, develop his intentions, and his reasoing why he hates Superman. In the previous movies, Lex has always been seen as jealous criminal that Superman dominates the press and Lex is on page 8 of the Daily Planet. His true intention is that he believes Superman stunts humanity’s evolution by being a God like figure. People seem want to run to Superman when they can’t solve a problem. Lex Luthor hates that and that’s why he wants to kill him. I’ll also say that Superman and Lex Luthor go together like Batman and Robin. I liked Kevin Spacey’s and Gene Hackman’s interpretations of Lex Luthor but they never seemed evil enough. Lex Luthor is man who will release Doomsday on the world to prove his point that he is humanity’s savior not Superman. The actor that Warner Bros. should get to play Lex Luthor is someone who can pull off diabolical menacing expression. The actor needs to pull off the business man persona. There are rumors floating out there that Lex Luthor will behind the scenes a lot. Yes, he usually is a behind the scenes guy in the other movies. David Goyer (the writer) and Zach Synder need to have Lex publicly go after Superman and make him the voice of the anti-Superman population which brings me to my third point, Batman.
3) Batman needs to be in almost the whole movie. Honestly, Batman is the god among all comic book characters. He’s pretty much universally love and admire by people especially a movie audience. In my opinion, the only other character who completes with him is Spider-man. I know I’ll anger Superman fans with my next comment. People will go see this movie because of Batman. Superman, Lex Luthor, and whoever else will be an after thought to Batman. Warner Bros needs to develop a Batman character who can survive among superhuman beings like Superman, Doomsday, Darkseid in this DC Cinematic Universe. I heard Batman will have to two different suits. One will be his grey and black suit classic suit and the other one will be more an armored suit looks like Nolan’s Batman suits. The sequel needs to address the relationship between Batman and Superman. Batman has one rule “he doesn’t kill.” Superman being on Earth led to death of citizens and soldiers, not intentionally. Kryptotians went after him and the Superman killed Zod. Batman keeps count on how many people the Joker kills and always weighs on his conscience. I’m pretty sure Batman won’t go to Superman, man hug him, and say let’s be friends. Batman will distrust Superman and investigate him. The movie audience will want to see them fight. Zack Synder needs to find a way of Batman whipping out Kryptonite and evening the playing field in fight with Superman. My final point is Batman’s war on Gotham’s crime should be show him looking exhausted. He’ll already have trained Robin and the two have split. Robin needs to be mention in the movie. His failed relationship with Dick Grayson is one of the reasons why he successful friendships with the Flash, Superman, and Green Lantern. They could also introduce Nightwing, Dick Grayson after being Robin. Nightwing could fight Superman and nearly get killed causing Batman to come out of retirement. Batman’s greatest failure is the death of Jason Todd and his lack of ability to show Dick Grayson how much he actually loves him like son. These two issues to be need mentally exhaust Bruce Wayne to the point of retirement. We could see the reclusive Bruce Wayne that was in the Dark Knight Rises. My next point is the plot and the amount of action of movie.
4) Listen Zack Synder, we all know that you love action and copious amounts of special effects and CGI. We, the movie viewing audience, don’t need to have a lot CGI and special effects every 5 minutes. The major plot line should be Superman vs. anti-Superman population mostly like Lex Luthor and US government. Batman needs to be the wildcard. The movie should have to 3 to 4 major plots going and very few subplots. We need to know where Superman stands with the world, government, and need a good introduction to Batman and Lex Luthor. Rumors suggest Metallo might be involved, a Cyborg made by Lex Luthor with a heart of kryptonite to defeat Superman. Alright introduce John Corben as a cop or journalist who Clark Kent investigates for dirty crimes. Superman stops him from fleeing and gets servely injured causing Lex to give him the chance to walk with cybernetic enchantments. He has a revenge mindset with Clark Kent and Superman. Look on how I connected the plot points which Man of Steel didn’t do. Another major plot could have Wonder Woman be Bruce Wanye’s love interest or part of Lex Corp’s board of trustees. The story line requires little action and very few intense fight sequences. The film would give a chance to develop the DC trinity as characters and Lex Luthor too. I think people would feel emotionally attach to these characters which Man of Steel didn’t do for a lot of fans. Wonder Woman and the Justice League as a whole is my next point.
5) Wonder Woman’s part should be 20 to 30 minutes of screen time. Her part should be used sparingly because the actress they chose for Woman Wonder really needs to work out a lot. I hear that there are rumors of Aquaman being involved, Flash, and god knows who else. The movie should end with Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman putting pledging to join forces when the world faces grave danger. The Flash since he is the heart of the Justice League could zip by, crack a joke, and join the team. The Green Lantern could follow the same model. Boom you got your Justice League Ending and the audience goes nuts in participation. Zach Synder and company need to make a good movie focusing on Batman, Superman, and Lex Luthor. Please god no Justice League Origins. I don’t want to see Aquaman, the Flash, Green Lantern until the end of the film.
These are my ideas for on how to make Man of Steel 2 successful and open to a DC cinematic universe. Man of Steel spilt audiences down the middle and people either love it or really hate it. Warner Bros really hasn’t confirmed any casting except Batman and Wonder Woman. Man of Steel 2 comes out May 6th, 2016.